Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday Food Thoughts

Or more specifically, super cheat day. 

I'm sitting here eating chips and salsa for lunch. Totally healthy I know. I don't even care. It tastes so damn good. I think that allowing these little cheats here and there keep me sane.

Last night my husband and I were packing our bags for our trip home this weekend and I was going through my capris pants and shorts for fun, trying them on to see if I can feel a difference. I had some that I could, some that I didn't. I was going, are you serious?? But it's ok. I know I am starting to see the difference. Honestly. I'm finally seeing it with my own blind two eyes ;-)

We then got to talking about how we should take the next step to clean up our eating choices. We're doing well with our counting calories - and that is great and much needed - but we now have to refine our choices. We are still very carb (mostly bread-y) heavy and we could stand to eat leaner proteins. Luckily I do not eat steak and pork (other than bacon) so those are easier for me. We are generally good with choosing leaner ground beef but we really let the grocery sales dictate our meat purchases. 

Every week we have been trying to have some fish fillets which is a positive step for me. I am allergic to shellfish so I've generally stayed away from any seafood in the past. While it's still not the best options out there, we've been getting some of the frozen fish fillets in various seasonings and breading. I've actually decided I like the plain old 90 calorie per fillet Van de Kamps version the best. I then put a teeny amount of BWW Asian Zing sauce on them and they are delicious. I could eat those multiple times a week.

I also have a major gag reflex reaction when any salmon or tuna is near me. Honestly, I'd rather shovel horse manure than smell tuna or salmon. When I waitressed my way through school, I used to have other people run my salmon dishes out to my tables for me. I don't know that I will ever be able to get past the smell in order to put it in my mouth. Have you ever had to get over something like this?? If so, how did you do it? With Lent beginning next week (and even though my hubby is a lapsed Catholic and my denomination doesn't do no meat on Fridays), I would like to be able to humor him with more seafood choices. Wisconsin is a fish fry paradise but the "fry" part totally defeats the purpose of eating fish. LOL.

Well, enjoy your cheat days if you are indulging in them with me. Just make sure to close your mouth at midnight and get back to the healthier options in the morning! 

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment