Thursday, February 13, 2014

Damn Bagels

Ahhh, today's little post shall be quite fun to write. Let it be a lesson to others to double check your calorie database carefully.

Monday-Thursday I work in one town about 30 miles away. On Fridays I work in the area that I live in. On those days I treat myself to my Friday morning breakfast indulgence of a cheddar bacon bagel.Now, I fully know that it's not the most healthy combination. But it's delicious. And I adjust my calories for the rest of the day accordingly. I always put it into MFP too. I wasn't able to find the cheddar bacon exactly but I chose the asiago cheese one and then figured out the additional bacon calories and created my own "recipe" for it. Today I happened to be working out of the in-town location so I decided that I would have my splurge today since tomorrow is Valentine's Day and my in-laws are coming up and I'm sure we'll be going out to dinner.

Well, today for the first time I decided I going to finally change it up and make it into an egg sandwich. I've never had it before. It was fabulous. So I went back to MFP to add it to my food diary. I found the sandwich on there but with a plain bagel. So I thought, "Hmm, ok I'll use that sandwich, look up the plain bagel stats on the company website, and then add the difference in the calories manually to my breakfast section." Except something wasn't working out in my head and I went back to the company's website to double check myself. When my eyes hit upon the smoking gun, my stomach dropped. 

Their serving size was for half of the bagel. Half. MFP had the base for my bagel listed as a whole bagel for the serving size. I've been eating this for months. And now that means that every Friday my counts have been way off. My bagle-wich was half of my daily allotted calories. I'm not even joking. I wish I was. 

So I rethought my entire meal plan, cutting out a bunch of my snacks I packed, in hopes of not completely blowing the day. 

I ended up being over by slightly more than 300 calories before my workout. Knowing I had to bust my ass tonight I did my 2 mile run and then lifted weights for another 45 minutes. My burn was about 642 calories so I did end up with a deficit today...not without sacrifice though. I'm still hungry ;-) 

Needless to say, I will NOT be going to get my bagels every Friday. Maybe once every two months as a true "treat."

I'm still dumbfounded. 

Portion sizes are a bitch sometimes. Damn them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment