Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday Funday

I really like the noon hour long water fitness class I've been taking on Fridays. The instructor is fun and it's a pretty nice group of regulars. I think I may be about half the average age of those folks but...who really cares, you know? 

One of my coworkers made a comment about how when she goes to swim her laps she sees all the "old people" there and it doesn't look like they are doing anything at all.To me, comments like those are just "exercising shaming" even though in my case, I know she was just trying to be funny. Here's the thing. At least people are out there doing it. It doesn't matter your age or your athletic ability. Water is very forgiving and it's a great work out if you put the effort into it. 

I happen to love being in the water whenever possible. I love swimming and splashing around in the pool but I'm not a lap swimmer. I blame it on the fact that I have terrible eye sight (like blind as a bat) and always wore glasses until high school. So I never was able to see well enough to do actual competitive swimming. But I still love to be in the water. This gives me a chance to. And I make it a great workout. 

I think it's very important for anyone trying to stay fit and active to find a combination of exercises that they enjoy and have fun while doing them. It reminds me of the episode of Friends when Phoebe wants to run with Rachel but when they go running Rachel is embarrassed by the way Pheebs runs. In the end, Phoebe convinces Rachel to just have fun and let loose and to not let what others think about her matter. Same thought applies here. Don't let others hold you back from doing what makes you happy. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment